Debian: I like it :)

Don Erickson derick at shark.zeni.net
Fri Apr 4 23:42:29 CST 2003

In article <3E8DF88C.6010107 at covad.net> you write:

>1) When I tried to 'startx,' I got the error, "No screens found."  I
>installed KDE and Gnome, and I ran multiple methods of configuring X,
>but to no avail.  What's going wrong?

In /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, X isn't finding a screen configuration that it
can use.  There's a "Screens" section in there with resolutions and color
depths.  It's been a while since I installed a debian distribution, which
X configure methods did you use?

>2) It installed KDE 2.2.2.  That is extremely old.  I know they have a
>rep for being stable and that there is a reason, but how would I go
>about updating to a Debian-specific version of KDE 3.1?  Likewise, I
>would also like to upgrade GNOME.

Well, include this line in /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free

Then, run the commands "apt-get update" followed by
"apt-get install kdebase".  This will get you started.

Oh, and have a wide pipe.

Regards,

-Don