Debian: I like it :)

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Fri Apr 4 21:36:29 CST 2003

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, James Colannino wrote:

> 1) When I tried to 'startx,' I got the error, "No screens found."  I
> installed KDE and Gnome, and I ran multiple methods of configuring X,
> but to no avail.  What's going wrong?

This error describes the failure of the X server to provide any screen
real estate.  There are other errors.  You may see all of these errors in
the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file:

less /var/log/XFree86.0.log

It will tell you exactly why the X server failed to start.  Here is an
example:

(EE) Failed to load module "pex5" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "xie" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

The lines with the EE shows a problem.  In my case, I may need to comment
out references in my /etc/X11/XF86Config file to the modules that don't
exist in my system.

--
Programming C shells by the sea shore since 1994.
http://dattaway.org