Debian: I like it :)

James Colannino email2jamez at covad.net
Fri Apr 4 21:25:31 CST 2003

Hey everyone.  Based on my recent troubled with freezing apps under
rpppoe and Slack, I decided to give Debian a try, given it's reputation
for stability.  I must say, I like what I've seen very much.  I have a
few questions though (please note that I haven't gone much into a debian
system yet:)

1) When I tried to 'startx,' I got the error, "No screens found."  I
installed KDE and Gnome, and I ran multiple methods of configuring X,
but to no avail.  What's going wrong?

2) It installed KDE 2.2.2.  That is extremely old.  I know they have a
rep for being stable and that there is a reason, but how would I go
about updating to a Debian-specific version of KDE 3.1?  Likewise, I
would also like to upgrade GNOME.

I think there was something else, but I can't remember.  If anyone has
some help they could offer me, I would be very grateful.

James