RR / Cable Broadband pricing

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Apr 4 19:18:02 CST 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 11:59, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:

> So its "you pay more if RR knows you dont have another option"?  Anyone
> have a friend with a legal backround to run this past?

> If thats the case, even if its a few bucks more, I am switching to
> Everest if/when they are in my area.

Take a deep breath there.  It's free-market competition, that's all.
Everest wouldn't be offering such good pricing if they weren't trying to
win RoadRunner/potential RoadRunner business.  SWBell would be charging
rates proportionate to their ISDN rates if it weren't for RoadRunner.

ISDN was as low as $50/mo in some areas (out west) that had early cable
modem service, and in parts of Europe where they had better regulation
it was also priced reasonably.  Gilt-edge pricing by piratical LECs kept
it from becoming a real standard.

It's just how things go.