new to linux

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Apr 4 17:12:16 CST 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 22:37, Jacob Hurley wrote:

> When I first started with linux I bought the
> Mandrake 7.(something) box set with install books/etc.  I tried to
> install again and again.. and when I finally got It installed I didn't
> have a clue with what to do with it.

I don't think the boxed sets are a good place to start.  The manuals
I've seen are sketchy at best, directed toward someone already familiar
with Linux, but not complete enough to let you know about the
customization that RedHat, for instance, has done to all the packages.

I think a general reference book and either a downloaded ISO or
something from cheapbytes is the way to start.  Try different
distributions, and when you find one that you're comfortable with,
consider buying a subscription rather than a boxed set.

One caveat on subscriptions: RedHat claims that you'll get exclusive
access to ISO's, but the best data rate I've had since their release of
RH9 on Monday is 21Bps.