new to linux

Jacob Hurley jacobh at aos5.com
Fri Apr 4 04:38:00 CST 2003

Okay, I see where you and Jim are coming from.  But I am being
completely serious.  When I first started with linux I bought the
Mandrake 7.(something) box set with install books/etc.  I tried to
install again and again.. and when I finally got It installed I didn't
have a clue with what to do with it.

*Actually, I'll be honest, I never got it fully installed.  My first
actual install was slackware (yep) and that is where the learning
started for me.  I configured most of stuff from the command prompt and
just alt+f2 if I needed another window (which I didn't know about for
awhile either).  Then I finally had my first firewall *g*.

Eventually I got another box, and I finally went for the gusto and got X
rolling with my second slackbox.

After having the experience and somewhat comfort with the command line I
began installing SuSE as my distro of choice.  But now I would have to
say that my favorite distro is Gentoo, and I really don't think it's all
that complicated - emerge is the best/easiest way I have ever updated a
system.

Jacob Hurley
Network Operations Center
Alexander Open Systems