What a bunch of crap!

Antoinette Powell antoinette_powell at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 3 16:48:02 CST 2003

Here's how I got ripped off by SnapNames/VeriSign: I knew a certain domain
name was expiring. It was registered with VeriSign and SnapNames has a
business relationship with VeriSign; in fact, I found SnapNames through a
link on the VeriSign site. So, I paid to have first dibs on the expiring
domain name. I had been duped into thinking that the business relationship
between VeriSign and SnapNames meant I had bought the first place in the
queue if the owner didn't renew. Well, the owner didn't renew, and I didn't
get the domain. A competitor to SnapNames scooped it up and sold it to
someone else. Clearly I was cheated. However, a careful reading of the
contractual terms reveals that SnapNames doesn't guarantee anything. Their
relationship with VeriSign has no bearing on whether SnapNames has the
inside track on anything. In fact, the competitors who scooped me, who
apparently are a couple of guys running their company in their garage, offer
a far better deal than SnapNames does: "You only have to pay if we succeed
in getting the domain for you." SnapNames sucks. VeriSign sucks.--Antoinette
Powell