most commonly used Linux version?

thomas at redhat.com thomas at redhat.com
Mon May 23 23:35:50 CDT 2011

The reason I said "depending on which report you read" is that "market share leadership" is such a nebulous term, it depends on how it's defined. Some reports I've seen say we have 85% of paid Linux revenue. Some reports say 55% of paid Linux server count. Still others say we're on 70% of all factory prepossessing of Linux.

Frankly, I find all of these suspect for a slew of reasons from statistical accuracy to methodology to just plain common sense.

Probably the closest thing to truth I can find - and even this is probably not the best yardstick - is revenue. Don't take my word for it, our 10K is public, as is Novell 's.

Also Gartner and IDC have some decent data on things like server sales and OS sales. Go look at those.

But the assertion that only managers and marketing types like RHEL, and real men like Debian is just absurd. What runs the NYSE? What does the FAA use to support the ~8000 planes in the air in US airspace every day? Hint: it ain't Debian.

TC

Jonathan Hutchins <hutchins at tarcanfel.org> wrote:

On Monday 23 May 2011 04:17:54 pm thomas at redhat.com wrote:

> We own between 65 and 85 percent of the Linux server market, depending
> on which report you read. Debian based distros are not really even a
> blip on the radar from a commercial standpoint.

Based on number of licenses sold, or total revenue?

IBM has a big share of the POS market, and their POS system is based on SuSE.
They don't count the licenses on a per-terminal basis as far as I know, so
their "market share" would be skewed too.  I know of only one very small
specialty POS system based on RHEL.