Puppy Linux as a Primary OS for daily use. It's been working for me

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Mon May 23 15:59:07 CDT 2011

I've been very happy to discover that Puppy 5 has been a quite stable
overall "Just works" daily use distro.

Less so from trying HD installs on some hardware, but running from
CD/DVD or Flashdrives seems to be a winner.  Which seems nicely in
keeping with my preferred mode of having the OS and Userdata on
separate devices. Oh- there's a zone of having "some" archival stuff
on the slack space of an OS device, but NEVER as the "only copy" of
anything worth worrying about losing.

That concept is incredibly NEAT to use easily due to how Puppy's
Pmount utility displays drives on the desktop with a prominent  green
DOT to indicate a drive's mounted.  Yeah- that's a small trivial
seeming thing but it's an example of how Puppy's methods work for me.
I keep a shoebox of older ~20- 250 gig drives around as archived
buckets of "if I missed something" history and using the IDE>USB cable
trick allows me to painlessly take a drive from the box-copy whatever
is needed for a mule 'puter around here onto the drive and NOT worry
about leaving space for an OS etc.  Boring stuff like pictures of
Catfish contests etc get set up as a slide show on a guest computer
running Puppy from CD or an internal Flashdrive.

For me personally, booting Puppy from a Flashdrive makes whatever
'puter I am sitting at closer to "Mine" than many other tricks I've
used with "less" chance of leaving traces of even trivial data on
whatever HD's are in the machine I'm using. Last I checked- writing to
an UNMOUNTED drive's not a worry eh?

More details going up on my blog..