Decompilers

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 2 10:40:40 CDT 2009

Any one here ever use any decompilers in Linux?

I have a Mac OSx driver, I've been considering reverse engineering. Since the company, which shall remain nameless is the biggest jerk in regards to supporting Linux and they make certain hardware that is top notch and there's a huge clamoring for support in the community, and some guy in China just contacted for help in making a Linux driver for it. So, I'm dusting off the old peripheral and pulling out my tracers and sniffers and getting ready to restart an old driver project of mine. This is a high end device and I'd like to make sure every part of it works. I thought decompiling the Mac driver might be a good place to get some ideas, if we hit a bottleneck.

I'd hate to have to develop my own decompiler. Yuck, that's a 1000 hours of work or more. I want the option to peek under the hood if we can't make this work 100%. I'd rather do as much as I can without peeking at anyone's code, but I can't even get complete specs on the chips inside the device. It's almost a total blackbox.

So, any one have recommendations?

Brian J.