Reiser FS or ext3?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 26 00:05:44 CDT 2008

--- On Tue, 9/23/08, Jeffrey Watts <jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Leo Mauler
> <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > While I'm sure there will be a lot of votes for
> > ReiserFS, lets get real folks.  Ext3 is being
> > developed by a bunch of people who are free to
> > leave where they live whenever they want, use a
> > computer without supervision, and also not have
> > their wages garnished by the state to pay for
> > their living arrangements.
> >
> > Hans Reiser, the developer of the Reiser filesystem,
> > murdered his wife Nina Reiser about 2 years ago (to
> > avoid hefty child support payments), was convicted
> > of the crime, has already shown authorities where
> > he buried her body, and is about to start a
> > 15-years-to-life prison term for that murder.
> > As the primary developer of the Reiser filesystem,
> > and owner of the Namesys company which develops
> > ReiserFS (which is unable to pay any employee's
> > salary while he is incarcerated), Reiser4
> > development ground to a halt during his trial, and
> > is likely to simply die off.
> >
> > So the fact is that if your choice is between Reiser
> > and Ext3, you may want to go with Ext3 simply because
> > Ext3 will receive regular updates, and ReiserFS is
> > dead in the ground (much like Nina Reiser).

> Y'know, you could have just said the following:
> "You may want to stay away from ReiserFS because
> the lead developer is now incarcerated, and it
> may fall into disrepair."  All of the other stuff
> is really immaterial to a technical decision.  :)

Kevin Mitnick was also once incarcerated, even to the point of being denied use of any electronic equipment more complex than a landline phone while on parole, but now runs his own computer security company.  Given the prior example of Kevin Mitnick, I felt that the general word "incarceration" was inadequate to explain just how incredibly dead Reiser4 has become.