Google Chrome

Justin Dugger jldugger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 14:50:07 CDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 04 September 2008 07:50:24 Justin Dugger wrote:
>> Apparently the Google benchmarks are heavy on recursion, which is a
>> complicated concept and the bane of most programmers.
>
> How exactly is recursion in the slightest bit complicated?

Spoken like someone who's never had to explain it to a novice
programmer, or implement it in a compiler.  A number of people do find
it complicated in practice and avoid it like the plague.  I know
plenty of people who hate Lisp and Ocaml because one is almost forced
to use recursion.

And if that doesn't satisfy you, recursion is complicated because you
don't know when the compiler effectively implements tail call
recursion without reading the code or analyzing memory usage.

Justin Dugger