Quickly-implemented Streaming Video Feeds using Linux? (was Re: OT- but the danger level demands we NOT ignore this)

Duane Attaway dattaway at eeepc.dattaway.net
Mon Sep 1 09:10:27 CDT 2008

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008, Leo Mauler wrote:

> So, given that you've got an existing Linux setup, a USB camera, a
> microphone, and that the police haven't cut off broadband Internet
> access to your house, what would be needed to implement a live streaming
> video feed and how quickly could it be accomplished?  Also, since this
> sort of thing seems to happen frequently these days, how would one go
> about making a more permanent implementation of a live streaming video
> feed, preferably with some form of switch which would leave it off until
> the instant it was needed?

I have an Axis network camera which has built in motion and audio alarms
which automatically sends pictures and audio via email or ftp.  My Axis
233D runs Linux, has an active Linux development network, and is
completely configurable.  I have mine hooked up to a wireless bridge, so
I can write a script to connect to a neighbor's wifi if mine gets cut.

Now I just need more bandwidth for my webcam:
http://www.dattaway.net