Quickly-implemented Streaming Video Feeds using Linux? (was Re: OT- but the danger level demands we NOT ignore this)

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 1 01:26:33 CDT 2008

Oren Beck has provided an excellent example of a situation where Linux could come in handy.  Since one set of future protestors were under illegal "house arrest" before the police decided to break into the house, and if the police decided to enter the house everything, including video cameras, would be confiscated until the video footage was politically useless, clearly some form of streaming video feed would be necessary to capture video footage of the illegal raid and redisplay it in a timely manner, suitable for appropriately embarrassing the police who have violated civil rights in this manner.

So, given that you've got an existing Linux setup, a USB camera, a microphone, and that the police haven't cut off broadband Internet access to your house, what would be needed to implement a live streaming video feed and how quickly could it be accomplished?  Also, since this sort of thing seems to happen frequently these days, how would one go about making a more permanent implementation of a live streaming video feed, preferably with some form of switch which would leave it off until the instant it was needed?

Ubuntu is popular these days, assume the existing Linux installation is Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and that the broadband is fast enough to share amongst 5-10 college students, such as 5Mbps downstream, 384Kbps upstream.