DVDneXtCOPY iTurns Removes iTunes DRM with Virtual CD Burner

Geoffrion, Ron P [IT] Ron.Geoffrion at sprint.com
Fri Oct 31 18:27:48 CDT 2008

>> there WASN'T a online music business before they invented it.

napster - and their business model was fantastically successful, just not financially successful.  Their Business, according to Shawn: Vengeance.

<snip>

"Many people have speculated on how we intended to make money. While some details will likely remain hidden forever, today I'd like to clarify what we were up to, and it's very simple: Vengeance.

"Yes, vengeance. Although I wrote the code as an exercise in Windows programming, Napster as a corporation was financed and promoted by a group of established musical artists who felt that that had been treated unfairly by the recording industry, but had still managed to tour, record, and sell records successfully despite the impediments and outright theft by the major record labels. Having achieved some degree of independent financial security, they now sought to extract revenge on the very executives that had stole royalties, inflated tour expenses, and yes, even questioned the need for three-dimensional pop outs in their album covers.

 To paraphrase Joe Walsh, one of our silent partners, 'Account for THIS royalty, MCA!'

<snip>

http://www.ink19.com/issues/april2002/features/napsterBusinessModel.html

Thanks,

Ron Geoffrion