Linux Works (And Shines) On ANY Computer

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 21:26:04 CDT 2008

I have done something to raise a point Re: Stripping. to show points
in opposition.

A post can be stripped to:

>> Linux is not magic Leo.  It won't make a 200mhz Pentium Pro perform
>> like anything manufactured in the last year, no matter how much you
>> strip out.

Or I can go on at length if it's covering points of information.

All the above was what made me think over how to explain a bit more
rationally both side's reasons for being. From comparisons.As what to
a point may indeed be quite true for "application BLANK".-Is NOT so
for another application or task. With the string of intentional
qualifiers to show the logic hole in making either hardware extreme
become what it is not. Let me make it a simple balance listing of
sorts.

You can make a tiny,fast distro -the Linux doppelganger of Win95-
running in  RAM . It will do browsing limited only by the connect
speed-and the hardware metrics become of little value to ramp up any
more past a certain point. Sort of akin to diminishing returns being
hit early on. Which is valuable if you have a zero budget and are
using donated everything. And yeah- this level of things may not play
3D shooters with "Blood Splatter Physics Rendering"

Or you can make a lavishly extravagant distro- Linux Vista?- that will
test the limits of our most extreme hardware. Even when that hardware
is maxed out in every metric. The sky's the limit for bloat&hardware
$$ as expense etc is of no concern. And yeah- THIS level of stuff
might even rival gaming dedicated gear. If you really have a need for
hearing an Orc's head bounce behind you in Dolby 5.1 as the blood
fountain realistically parts for your sword's return stroke.

But coming back to a boringly routine Webmail log in-answer a
question-log out- session? I hold that in the majority of browser
based tasks- The utility of my under $300 IBM T42 will be comparable
to the $6,892.90 Falcon Gaming custom rig. Google will NOT load faster
over the same 56k dial up on one machine over the other. That explains
the literal incomparable situations we have between extreme user
desires. Or is there a zone of exception?

Both extremes have an overlapping truth zone. The set of tasks where
from oh- let's use Google's dead stock search page- Type kclug into
both search bars. Press Enter on the two machines and see which has
the KCLUG site. measurably faster.

 All other factors being equal the result explains why Linux+old
hardware Vs Vista or Linux on new hardware do-or not- what they do.