Meeting Goals 2008-11-18

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 15:09:48 CST 2008

I'm bringing the Acer Aspire One running it's stock Linpus Linux in a
mercilessly hacked up state.  I think I'll be able to get it on the
Library's wifi.... using iwconfig....

Then I'll demo Acer's factory restore DVD, and you can all play with
the thing freshly reloaded and working.  At the next meeting, I'll
have Ubuntu with their netbook thing on there, and Fedora 10 after
that.  If you have anything else you'd like to see on a netbook, chime
in now.

I also at this point have Fedora 10 running on my laptop in its
entirety.  If anyone wants a sneak peak at what F10 will look like on
its release, here's your chance to see it.

If anyone had any distros they want to install, now's the time to ask
if you want me to bring a disc ready to install from.

Also, I thought I'd share a package I discovered a couple days ago
called clive.  clive takes as an argument, a youtube hyperlink, and
swiftly downloads an flv or mp4 to your home directory.  Supposedly it
supports other sites as well.  yum install clive.
http://clive.sourceforge.net/
Then you can play it in vlc and probably other players, without ever
installing flash.  There's another script floating around out there
that lets you play a youtube vid directly in mplayer or vlc, but you
can't always stop and reverse and stuff since its streaming.

There's another program I really wanted called pytube, a python gtk+
app that turns a youtube vid into an ogg file, but its author's site
seems to be completely gone now.