Acer Aspire One

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 20:04:08 CST 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Duane Attaway <dattaway at dattaway.net> wrote:
> I run gentoo on mine.  Its pretty fast at 3193 bogomips with the core2
> instruction set.  Some people say the Atom is slow, but I believe that's
> famous Intel marketing just like they did with the Celeron.  The hard drive
> speed isn't bad either: 61MB/sec.  That makes it quick for compiling code.

Clock-per-clock the Atom is slower.  The Celerons used in the early
Eee PCs (700 series) were down clocked any way (571-630MHz), and later
Celeron Eee PCs (900 series) were only 900MHz.  The Atoms are running
at 1.6GHz so they still clean the clock of the downclocked Celerons
because they are running at over twice the clock rate.  The best
advantage is power consumption though.  Twice the battery life means
I'm waiting for an Atom Eee to drop in price, or find another Atom
netbook at a very low price.

Jon.