Acer Aspire One

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.net
Mon Nov 3 17:27:16 CST 2008

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO wrote:

> I almost bought one of those on Saturday.  Would you keep a regular
> laptop after buying one of these?  Would you consider it a replacement
> for the laptop, an alternative or just a cool toy?
>
> I tried one of the EeePCs and the keys were small enough I can't see
> using it for everything.  In fact I ended up not getting one of those
> and just waited and got a full-size laptop.

This is my desktop replacement!  The keyboard layout is much better than
my eeepc.  Screen size is perfect for two side by side terminals.

I run gentoo on mine.  Its pretty fast at 3193 bogomips with the core2
instruction set.  Some people say the Atom is slow, but I believe that's
famous Intel marketing just like they did with the Celeron.  The hard
drive speed isn't bad either: 61MB/sec.  That makes it quick for compiling
code.

Laptops with 15" screens are way to big!