Conversion to Linux - part 2

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 14:19:25 CST 2008

There are several key differences, but most are under the hood.  To
overgeneralize, Fedora is the more "high tech" distribution and Ubuntu is
the more "user friendly" one, but as you can see, there's a reason I say
"overgeneralize".  :)

The most noticeable visible difference is the fact that Fedora uses the
traditional Unix model of having a superuser account, whereas Ubuntu by
default has a locked superuser account and requires the use of 'sudo'.
Different philosophies, but you'll find the method Fedora uses to be far
more common in the Unix world.  I believe Ubuntu is the only major Linux
distribution to do things that way.

As far as the Fedora 10 installer, you can get a command line only installer
by typing "linux text" at the GRUB prompt.  If you don't see a prompt, hit
Esc when you see the GRUB loading screen.  Let me know if that doesn't work
and I'll check on it for you.  Been a while since I've done a text only,
non-kickstart install.

As far as the network settings go, do you have your default gateway set up
properly?  If you can provide a 'netstat -nr' it may help a bit.

I did a quick google, and came up with a good link about AD integration:
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_&_Active_Directory

You may want to search Red Hat's and Fedora's sites for distribution
specific instructions.  You probably want to research eventually
transitioning to LDAP instead, however I wouldn't make that move until
you're done with everything else.

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that