Conversion to Linux - part 2

Haworth, Michael A. Michael_Haworth at pas-technologies.com
Mon Nov 3 13:50:07 CST 2008

OK, so I have Fedora 9 installed on a HP nc6910p laptop - installation went smoothly and everything seems to be working correctly - but, when I try to access the internet for updates, packages, or just browsing, I get no response from anything. I have verified that the wireless is configured correctly and connected. I can ping both the gateway and external (google.com). lack of experience is leading me to nowhere right now...

On the flip side - Loving the interface (Gnome) as it is what I am used to - aside from the networking not working correctly there seem to be (outwardly) very few differences between Fedora and Ubuntu (but they are built from different distro's, correct?). If I were to show this to the powers-that-be, they would dig it just as much. I do like that on install it asked if I wanted to used Kerberos credentials for logins... so I am guessing that I can use the existing AD credentials in Server 2003 to authenticate sessions... might take a little work to figure out, but nothing that can't be solved (once it understands that there is a network to talk to).

Tried the Fedora 10 Beta, but the GUI installer kept crashing after partitioning and I could seem to find a text installer at this point - so I will wait it out on that one...

Michael Haworth