Gentoo is having problems, isn't it? (was Re: Conversion to Linux)

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 2 00:46:57 CDT 2008

--- On Sat, 11/1/08, David Nicol <davidnicol at gmail.com> wrote:

> > The three major ancestries of GNU+Linux
> > are RedHat, Debian, and Slackware.
>
> I guess BSD doesn't get included because
> Gentoo isn't "major."

I'd suspect that Gentoo doesn't get included because it appears to be having serious issues with developers not really working well together and developing new versions of Gentoo.

New versions keep getting canceled because developers can't agree on the proper development of new versions.  2007.1 got canceled (apparently because 2007.1 wouldn't get released until 2008), and now I read on Gentoo.org that 2008.1 has just been canceled as well.  No one seems to be even trying to herd the cats anymore.

Gentoo may not be completely dead, but (metaphorically speaking) John Cleese has put its head in striking distance of Eric Idle's club...