Does Linux have a CMOS Setup Application, possibly from a LiveCD?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 31 09:09:28 CDT 2008

I've got a PIII-1Ghz system which I'd like to use
until it dies.  Right now it works fine, except that
the rear PS/2 ports seem not to work.  This is a
recent development, as the computer worked fine with a
PS/2 keyboard and mouse up until I moved it from the
basement office into the living room (I just acquired
a used TV with a VGA port on the back).

I'm using it right now to type this message because
when the motherboard gets past the point where I can
use CMOS Setup (pressing Del), the motherboard
recognizes a USB keyboard and USB mouse even before an
OS loads.

Pressing DEL to get into the onboard CMOS Setup
utility does work from the USB keyboard.  However, the
onboard CMOS setup utility apparently only recognizes
a PS/2 keyboard and not a USB keyboard, because once
inside the CMOS utility the keyboard keys don't
function.  The only way out of the CMOS Setup screen
is the power button on the computer.

In Ye Olden Days of PC/MS/DRDOS, there were CMOS Setup
Utilities which could be run from special boot disks.
If such an application still exists, and works for
modern CMOSes/BIOSes, I suspect that it is the only
way I'm going to be able to change the system time on
this computer, or more to the point tell the
motherboard BIOS that the Legacy Keyboard option is
disabled.

Such a Catch-22: because the PS/2 keyboard doesn't
work, I can't tell the BIOS that the PS/2 keyboard
doesn't work, so that it should accept a USB keyboard
when editing CMOS so I can tell it that the PS/2
keyboard doesn't work.

This is really frustrating because I know every other
component on the system works.  I've successfully
installed Ubuntu Linux 7.10 without a hitch on this
same PC.  I just want to make some basic changes to
the CMOS/BIOS, but I can't until I figure out how to
get into CMOS Setup without a PS/2 keyboard.