Trust able remote storage

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Sat Mar 29 15:25:44 CDT 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008, Billy Crook wrote:
> If you're interested, I'd be open to trading equal sized hard drives, and
> then you can back up to your drive in one of my machines, and I to mine in
> one of yours.

So I just need to take out Kansas City to get rid of all your backups... ;)

> I don't want any way to decrypt your data, and you won't be given any way to
> decrypt mine either.

And what happens when you lose your data and need that backup? I hope you have
plans for backing up your decryption private key as well... The best solution
to this problem I can come up with is to simply XOR the private key with a
memorized passphrase (so the file can't be identified), perhaps stick a few
fake-but-potentially-possible headers on it, and put it somewhere nobody will
expect but it will survive if needed.