Trust able remote storage

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 00:06:44 CDT 2008

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the input: rsync.net seemed to be a good candidate,
especially with the GeoSync service but they are way out of my price
range. On a side note, seems like rsync is big on protecting your data
even from the government, "sending" alerts if your data is compromised
by higher forces:
http://www.rsync.net/

I found this slashdot article (should have know that was asked already):
http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/01/007237

In the article, I saw some Canadian website, which offered rsync,
which on the surface met my requirements:
http://www.blacksun.ca/

But I think I like this Amazon S3 reseller. The only problem I have
with their service is that I it probably doesn't do rsync to their own
machine, and i'm not sure if there is any reliable way to throttle
things:
http://www.jungledisk.com/

I was thinking of setting up my dirs like this since I'm thinking of
allowing 1 or two of my close friends to use it, and I have at least 3
machines in mind for this.

/FullName ---|
                   |--- host1 ---|
                                    |--- crypt
                                    |--- plain
                   |--- host2 ---|
                                    |--- crypt
                                    |--- plain

I'm thinking to have crypt be the base folder for a fuse-encfs mount
to '/mnt/backup/crypt' and just symlink /mnt/backup/plain to the
appropriate folder.

Again, my main concern that this is going to use my full bandwidth. It
would be great if it would cache things and just trickle the changes
up at some time when I determine. I'm planning on emailing, their
apparently knowledgeable, support to ask their opinion on this. But
the price is doable for me. I haven't had data loss in awhile, and so
I think probablity is slowly catching up on me, so I'm going try to
set this up soon.