Ubuntu

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Mar 21 19:55:13 CDT 2008

On Friday 21 March 2008 17:46:36 Matthew Copple wrote:

> The only evidence to support this assertion is the stereotype that
> somehow, Ubuntu, and Ubuntu users, are "Linux Lite" and just want a
> Windows machine without paying for it.

This would be a fair assessment of many of the people I've encountered in the
#kubuntu support channel on freenode.  They are largely from Eastern Europe -
Romania mostly, they don't give a hoot about the OS and refuse to look at a
command line.  They just want to get the system up so they can run their
pirated games.

When the install process gets too easy and starts to do too much thinking for
you, you're gonna get those people who should never have left windows - if
they should even be running that!

(I've also encountered a few real cool folks who, in spite of a pretty steep
language barrier that extends a bit into how thoughts/sentences are
constructed, have not only sought help graciously, but returned it as soon as
they reached the point that they could.)