Organization Poll on the KCLUG Forums

bewkard bewkard at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 19:54:24 CDT 2008

<snip>

> Or you could place all the members names/handles on pieces of paper, put
> them in a hat and throw them up in the air.  Whoever sticks to the ceiling
> is stuck with the job.

</snip>

What kind of hat do you propose to use?

Plus, I feel that just one such toss leaves too much to chance.  I believe
that we should have everyone at said meeting perform such a hat toss.  The
results of each hat toss must be tabulated.  Only when all hat toss events
in consecutive order have the same outcome will we know the true Den Mother
of the LUG!  The Great Bird of the Galaxy ordains it!!!!111!

Seriously, the mail list seems to work.  The IRC channel works.  We
kinda-sorta-maybe know where people are going to be for meetings (not that
I've been to many lately.).   What is the problem that this increased
organization is going to solve?  Are we planning to wield some political
power in the future?  Are we going to go on field trips and need contact
people?  Are we creating an organization so that people can start putting
"Kansas City LUG" on resumes?

I'm all for cool events for tech stuff.  I don't know about wielding
political power or holding GNU putschen for "The Greater Freedom".  I think
that having multiple ways of communicating for the LUG is cool, and I think
that a separation of power is important for each.  That way people don't get
pissy and take the whole system down.

 I would observe that we are having enough problems determining whether or
not organization is good and needed.  I don't know if we could even get
together on goals and events after that!

Are we talking about a sea change here?  Or are we just whining that we
don't have "organization" for organization's sake?  Is lack of organization
cited that much by people leave the group?

I'll put two questions out there for the hell of it.  Maybe it'll help
dialog.  Maybe it'll help flameage.

Billy Crook:

I know that trying to agree on any goals before talking about organization
methodology would be putting the cart before the horse, but if you feel
strongly about getting this whole thing up and running, it might be nice to
have a sort of platform to go with, some assorted goals/events that might be
cool/nice/important.  This might motivate people to understand why
organization is important to you.

Brian:

I think that your comment about having "core members", those already
administrating the listserv/website, ignoring any other type of organization
is important.  What would keep this from happening?  If such a sea change
takes place in the LUG, where would they fit in the structure?  Would you
say that said members are opposed to further organization?

I plan on putting my foot in my mouth real soon.

Tim