Ubuntu

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 07:17:41 CDT 2008

--- feba thatl <febaen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 6:44 PM, Leo Mauler
> <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > --- Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >  > Well aside from the fact that they chose
> >  > Gnome (eww) like Redhat/Fedora. I think
> >  > Ubuntu is actually a very polished distro.
> >
> >  Well, considering that the other major
> >  alternative is KDE, which looks entirely
> >  too much like Windows, I think that a sigh
> >  of relief could easily replace that "eww".
>
> While I use Ubuntu and am probably one of the
> five people who actually prefers GNOME, I have
> to say that KDE looks entirely too much like
> whatever you want it to look like. If the
> initial theme bugs you, change it.

Well, the nice part about having GNOME instead of KDE
in basic Ubuntu is that, as I mentioned before,
Ubuntu's main userbase is non-technical people.
Non-technical people are less inclined to change the
initial theme of an OS's GUI to something else, since
they've probably come over from Another OS where
changing the theme wasn't an option.

Which boils down to the very important detail that as
more and more people adopt Ubuntu Linux, other people
viewing these end users' computers will know from a
single glance that they are not running Windows.
Default KDE is enough like Windows that a single
glance might lead someone to believe the household is
still on Windows.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm exploiting the common
man here, but if thats what it takes to dramatically
increase Linux usage...  ;-)