Catholics are the one true religion? (Was Re: Recycling subject lines saves trees)

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Wed Mar 12 15:12:55 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 12 March 2008, James Sissel wrote:
> >There are many well documented and witnessed exorcisms, and in some cases
> >of demonic possession the possessed person has demonstrated supernatural
> >abilities.
> >
> >http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12315a.htm
>
>   Documented by whom?

Many various witnesses. I guess if you didn't see it with your own two eyes,
it never happened, eh?

> Maybe we should have all these "true religion" Catholics drink poison
> to "prove" they are the one true Religion.

Satan tempted Jesus with almost the same thing. I think His response still
applies. Do note that people have attempted to poison Catholics before and
failed, BTW.

>   And there you go again.  Circular "proofs" are not proofs.  You rely on
> this "New Testiment" for all of your supposed "proofs".  What proof do you
> have this New Testiment is right or true?

The proof is in logic and philosophy.
Scripture in this case is merely documenting that Our Lord provided it.

> >Since truth never changes, it follows that any religion which changes its
> >beliefs is inherently false. What other religion has held to the exact
> > same doctrine for nearly 2000 years?
>
>   I guess all you Catholics better get back to eating that fish on Firday.

How is bringing up what has always been a disciplinary law (not a matter of
faith nor morals) relevant to doctrine?

> Oh, wait.  Back in the early Catholic church that wasn't a requirment.

Actually, abstaining from meat on Fridays has been a law since the apostles'
time.

> So what is it?

Always has been a disciplinary law, which can be changed, unlike doctrine.
Curiously, your example is a law that has never been changed.

> Maybe you better also learn Latin too.

Hopefully someday.

> Bring back the Spanish Inquisition.  Oh, wait.  They didn't do that when
> they started, then they did, then they didn't.  Can they ever keep anything
> straight?

The Spanish Inquisition has nothing to do with the Church, nor was it anything
near what your rewritten history no doubt claims.

>   Excuse me on "Morality"? ... "it is the responsibility of our civil
> authorities to enforce it"?  Where in blazes do you get that piece of
> tripe?  You are now forcing others to believe what you believe, something
> you just said isn't right.  But wait, now you are saying not only is it
> right but it MUST be this way.  But you said that wasn't right, but it is,
> but it isn't, but it is.  Sounds like you can't keep your own "doctrine"
> the same in the same e-mail.  What about 2000 years?

Morality is not beliefs. You can believe murder is acceptable as much as you
like, but that doesn't mean we need to let you go around killing people.

>   Nor am I saying you are wrong to be a Catholic.  I am saying you might be
> wrong to claim the Catholics as the "one true religion" and that you are
> not convincing.

Anyone who denies that Catholicism is anything but the one true religion, or
claims non-Catholics can be saved, is inherently not Catholic. Both of such
positions deny the dogma that there is no salvation outside the Church.