Everything Is Relative

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 16:54:34 CDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- feba thatl <febaen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Would someone please care to explain to me why the
> > hell people are talking about the nature of reality
> > on a LUG mailing list?
> >
> > Did someone bring up quantum computers and not tell
> > me?
>
> Oddly enough the Microsoft vs. Linux competition bears
> a distinct resemblance to the Catholic vs. Lutheran
> conflicts: in 1991 Linus Torvalds "nailed" the 95+
> lines of source code to his new kernel up on a
> newsgroup, and ever since then the Office of the
> Microsoft Inquisition has been torturing people with
> strange and inventive EULAs to get them to reformat
> their Linux installations, recently even taking a page
> out of the Scientology dogma by making distributors
> sign what are essentially "billion year contracts" to
> only distribute Microsoft products.
>
> Which is the last I'm going to say on the nature of
> Reality as it resembles the Linux operating system

Recently,  a project document  from a nameless VAR contract broker asked me
to sign off on this similar clause:

"You agree that if the site manager does not sign your paperwork that you
will be responsible for all callbacks related to your work on that site for
the next 10,000 years."

I found that vastly amusing and arguably disposable of by the "void term/s
or  concept/s" principle in most contract law. Which in english was
explained to mean "Even if there is a clause in the contract forbidding you
from thinking of radishes on company time it does not void the rest of the
contract as that clause is itself void due to absurdity"

--
Oren Beck

816.729.3645