RoadRunner nonsense

Hal Duston hald at kc.rr.com
Mon Mar 3 16:01:04 CST 2008

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 11:20:46AM -0800, Leo Mauler wrote:
> --- Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > My fellow RoadRunner using geeks have no doubt
> > noticed this themselves by now,
>
> Yes, I did notice this happening.
>
> > but for everyone else, an article is up on
> > Slashdot:
>
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/02/26/1741253
>
> > ISPs are becoming more and more despicable -- I
> > just wonder what tech guy sold his soul
> > implementing this, surely going against standard
> > networking behavior like this must cause one to
> > lose their geek membership.
>
> Isn't this just one sliver of a lawsuit away from
> RoadRunner losing its "network neutrality" status?
> Comcast went a bit further, but still similar in
> implementation, by monitoring and "redirecting" (into
> /dev/null) BitTorrent, Gnutella, and Lotus Notes
> packets, and is currently getting sued over it.
>
> Someone with kids should call up RoadRunner and ask
> them if, since they're already monitoring the
> customer's net traffic anyway, could they just filter
> all the porn too?

Being a RR customer, I was curious to see this,
but I cannot reproduce it.  What am I doing wrong?

[hald at iolo ~]$ lynx -mime_header http://www.asdfghjklqwertyuiop.com/

Looking up www.asdfghjklqwertyuiop.com
Unable to locate remote host www.asdfghjklqwertyuiop.com.
Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host.

lynx: Can't access startfile http://www.asdfghjklqwertyuiop.com/
[hald at iolo ~]$

Thanks,
--