RoadRunner nonsense

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 13:20:46 CST 2008

--- Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:

> My fellow RoadRunner using geeks have no doubt
> noticed this themselves by now,

Yes, I did notice this happening.

> but for everyone else, an article is up on
> Slashdot:

> ISPs are becoming more and more despicable -- I
> just wonder what tech guy sold his soul
> implementing this, surely going against standard
> networking behavior like this must cause one to
> lose their geek membership.

Isn't this just one sliver of a lawsuit away from
RoadRunner losing its "network neutrality" status?
Comcast went a bit further, but still similar in
implementation, by monitoring and "redirecting" (into
/dev/null) BitTorrent, Gnutella, and Lotus Notes
packets, and is currently getting sued over it.

Someone with kids should call up RoadRunner and ask
them if, since they're already monitoring the
customer's net traffic anyway, could they just filter
all the porn too?