win95/98/ME and printers. An ethics issue comparable to DRM servers or not?

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 15:45:31 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> What happens if someone wants to give their old HP printer to a charity
> still
> running Windows 98? Even if that someone had a copy of the 98 drivers, HP
> has
> said including those would be illegal...

Well, then I guess that's a niche market better served by Linux.
 Personally, regardless of any Freedom concerns, I don't have any issue with
vendors discontinuing support for ancient products. And out of curiosity,
where is HP saying that including those drivers would be illegal?  I don't
often deal in stuff this old so I'm not familiar with the licensing. ;-)

--
Chris