Semi-OT: Windows98 now truly obsolete thanks to Printers (helps encourage Linux)

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 12:22:24 CDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Sat, 7/26/08, Christofer C. Bell
> <christofer.c.bell at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > No, but running a 10 year old operating system
> > that has no support from anyone is foolish,
> > yes.
>
> Well, that was largely the *point* of my message, to provide another way to
> encourage folks still on Windows 98 to upgrade to Linux so that their
> ancient computers can use modern inexpensive peripherals (such as sub-$30 HP
> printers).  N...<an older technology mentioned in this list>...may still
> have uses but Windows98 certainly doesn't.

Ah, well good!  I certainly hope no one here is still using Windows 98.  I
just couldn't tell from your message that you were trying to encourage
people to move off of it. It sounded like a defense of Windows 98 and "those
damned printer vendors will have to pry Windows 98 from my cold, dead
hands!" or something. ;-)

I think I have my Windows 95 gold CD around here somewhere (the first retail
version of Windows 95).  Maybe I'll rip an ISO and boot it in Parallels and
see what happens.  Call me nostalgic for stupid things, but I really liked
Windows 95.

--
Chris