Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 16:22:30 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't doubt that, in much the same way that there are soap opera
> addictions, "Robot Chicken" addictions, and "Doctor Who" (and spinoffs)
> addictions, that there are real porn addictions.

You're correct, in a population big enough you'll find individual cases of
psychosis involving just about anything.

My point is that the ones involving "porn addiction", much like those
involving "internet addiction", the underlying problem leading to the
negative behavior has nothing to do with the stimulus.  In other words, the
cause of a "porn addiction" isn't the porn itself, but another underlying
issue.  People with addictive personalities find something to be obsessed
about.  Normal people can view porn (or surf the 'net) without going
psychotic.

Anyhow, I think it's funny when people rail about things like this as I
don't see them as a problem.  What I do see as a problem are the people that
go apoplectic over pornography and such in our media but don't seem to care
about violence.  What does it say about our society when the morality police
don't mind kids seeing violence but go crazy over breasts (Janet Jackson,
anyone?).  My kid is two months old and he's seen boobs a lot.  I'm willing
to bet everyone in this country has seen boobs and weren't hurt by it.

I think if we all saw more boobs and less violence we'd live in a better
world.  :)

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that