Prices and costs

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Wed Jul 9 14:35:15 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 09 July 2008, Jeffrey Watts wrote:
> Remember, costs are always going up, but our prices haven't.

Costs of what are going up? Bandwidth just gets cheaper and cheaper. I pay
$30/mo for a dedicated server that includes 1 TB of bandwidth on a 100 Mbit
link. Why is it that I can only get (just bandwidth) 12 Mbit (bursted; 2.17
TB/mo, based on 7 Mbit cap) for $45/mo, recently raised from $42/mo? Keep in
mind that my $30/mo dedi also covers costs for electricity and UPS+machine
rental.

Also relevant is the common availability of 100 Mbit DSL and 10 Mbit wifi
internet service in Eurasian countries for cheaper than we pay for cable
here.

> You had sent me this email privately, and I had privately responded.
> I already said that I was going to stop talking about this on the
> list, so please stop trying to drag the list back into it.

Sorry, I didn't realize that was intentional. Since the topic has changed with
this email, I hope you don't mind my getting the list's comments on it.