The Regular Virtual Desktop Effect (was Re: The Cube Efffect)

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sat Jan 26 10:14:56 CST 2008

I guess I've just never had sufficient screen real estate for multiple active
windows to really appeal to me, except for monitoring purposes.

I give the window I'm working in full screen, and may have many others open in
the background.  I switch to what I want to do - after all, I have only one
input channel, so there's really only one window I'm interacting with at a
time.

I use a second desktop because that concept groups the windows that are
accessible with alt-tab.  When I do my banking, I have Quicken (via wine) and
a browser pointed to my bank open, and alt-tab toggles between just those two
when I'm on the banking desktop.  I can hop back to the general desktop and
alt-tab between email, browsing, and IRC.

Amarok is usually minimized, a simple click in the system tray brings me full
screen control.

Maybe if I upgrade to a 20" widescreen this summer, I'll see the light.