The Regular Virtual Desktop Effect (was Re: The Cube Efffect)

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 09:47:25 CST 2008

On Jan 26, 2008 9:25 AM, Jon Pruente <jdpruente at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's much easier to keep programs of various sorts grouped in to
> viewable segments than having to manually minimize and maximize
> windows as you work, or just leaving a ton of windows open and cycling
> though them.  In one VD you can have your music player open with the
> library available to navigate and in another VD you can have a full
> screen web browser open and in yet another you can have your word
> processor open where you are writing a report for college (or where
> ever) and that's three VDs in use and organized with no window

. . .
I have to be able to switch contexts quickly.  Unfortunately, I am forced to
use Windows, so at any given time I'll have over a dozen windows open,
spread out across three monitors.  The Windows virtual desktop Power Toy is
a joke; it has to individually open and close each window, rather than
having a completely separate space for each desktop.  The spinning cube is
not just eye candy; it is a demonstration of the fact that the VDs really
are individual entities.  When the phone rings, and I have to lose one
context for another, then switch back when I'm done, it would be really nice
to be able to do that with a key combo.

And one of the best uses of VDs is the Ultimate Boss Mode.  If you have
something going on that you really don't want anyone else seeing, you do it
on a separate VD, so that when your boss or a co-worker walks up to your
desk, you're just that quick key combo away from having it completely off
your screen, leaving only the window(s) on the current VD showing.