Yanking the Window Shade

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Jan 24 10:54:58 CST 2008

http://blog.lobby4linux.com/index.php?/archives/423-Yanking-the-Window-Shade.html

>> I saw that pop up yesterday in my RSS feeds.  It's an interesting
>> exploration for the Windows-bias in the repair industry.  "But,
>> Microsoft wouldn't allow it!"

Yeah, neat, but it's not for everybody.  I have a good friend, used to do
HOWTO's for Comp Services at UMKC - far from computer illiterate.  She
doesn't want a computer that can do all that sixteen-desktop stuff.
Niether does my dad.  She uses a Mac and he uses Windows, and they're not
going to change.  They don't want to, they don't need to.

For the vast majority of computer users - certainly three out of four -
the power and control of Linux are unwanted and unneeded.  Windows is fine
for them, and I don't want to see Linux dumbed down and crippled so that
we can "sell" it to those people - only to have to support, maintain,
configure and  explain it to them.  Let them run Windows.

Me, when I have to try to use a Windows box, I'm twitchy about how little
control I have over what's happening.  It's actually worse on XP than it
was on Mac OS8.

> That site seems to be down. I found an apparent mirror on google
> http://www.chineselinuxuniversity.net/news/20935.shtml

Still down.