Yanking the Window Shade

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 10:06:27 CST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 9:55 AM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Very interesting read. But permit me to hijack this thread a bit...
>
> What is needed to get this spinning cube effect? I'm not really
> interested in it myself but some people seem to love it, and i'm
> hosting an installfest this saturday.

Generally, it needs acellerated 3d drivers and Compiz.  There is an
option in the "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings" Pref item on my
Ubuntu install that lets you set the key/mouse combos that activate
features.  I've got it set for Ctrl-Alt+left click'n'drag to use the
mouse to spin  the cube, and Ctrl-Alt&left or right to spin from the
keyboard.  The cube is really just a fncy way to switch virtal
desktops but the effect is VERY powerful for people who've never seen
it.  I can run a video in one desktop, open a browser in another and
more and use the mouse to partially spin the cube so you can see that
all are still running at all times, even while int he middle of the
spin.  I think it's a very powerful demonstration of multitasking.

Jon.