Quick GUI frontend development for command line tools?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 20 08:25:45 CST 2008

--- "Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO"
<brian.kelsay at kcc.usda.gov> wrote:

> Are wanting to create like a single page GUI
> with checkboxes for individual features and
> maybe a browse box to point to the files to
> act on?

That would be good enough for some of the things I had
in mind.  For example, Astrolog has built-in graphics
support, so all a user needs is something to make
selecting the right command line options a lot easier.
 Astrolog wouldn't even need a browse box.

A GUI for mencoder and transcode would make it a
little easier to play around with conversion options,
such as tweaking the home movies to fit on a single
DVD when normal DVD settings would require two DVDs.

> I've often wondered what would be a good tool
> to create something like this.  I think I would
> also have the command that you are building
> display on the window as you add options and
> then you could copy and paste into a script or
> to a console window.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of a tool which created
the command line text for you to cut-and-paste into a
window, but it is a good idea.  I suppose it is
roughly what I had in mind in the first place, as all
I envisioned was a GUI which stepped in, made
selecting command line program options easier, and
then ran the complete command line command as the GUI
exited itself.