KDE 4.0 Gallery

Bradley Hook bhook at kssb.net
Wed Jan 16 17:22:13 CST 2008

Luke -Jr wrote:
> Neither KDE nor GNOME are window managers at all. GNOME doesn't even INCLUDE a
> window manager, last I checked. And KWin is quite light, in part because it
> doesn't *need* the features most standalone window managers do.

Metacity is a part of the GNOME project, and is the default window
manager for a GNOME install. Yes, you can change it, but then you
wouldn't be running a "pure" GNOME install.

>> I used to prefer fluxbox, because it really was (is) lighter and faster in
>> practice, even with all of my apps loaded. KDE and GNOME both by default run
>> a bunch of extra stuff that you "might" need, but you usually don't.
>> Granted, it's trivial to turn these things off if you don't want them, but
>> by default your system will run slow(er).
>
> s/"might"/probably/

Yeah, sure, my wife will "probably" need Subversion modules or the Write
Daemon, among other items loaded by default on a KDE install... just
like she needed all those little system tray apps that loaded on her old
Windows machine?

I happily use KDE and GNOME, so I'm not complaining about either. But
anyone who argues that a person running KWin (+ the rest of KDE) is
going to have a lower resource usage than a person running Fluxbox (+
all of their apps) is just plain nuts.

~Bradley