KDE 4.0 Gallery

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Wed Jan 16 16:20:09 CST 2008

On Wednesday 16 January 2008, Bradley Hook wrote:
> Luke -Jr wrote:
> > Only if you're comparing it to a whole similar "package"-- so if you want
> > to compare it with your XFCE desktop, you MUST INCLUDE ALL APPLICATIONS
> > YOU USE in the comparison.
>
> Yes and no. I get your argument, but seriously, KDE and GNOME are both
> heavy window managers, period.

Neither KDE nor GNOME are window managers at all. GNOME doesn't even INCLUDE a
window manager, last I checked. And KWin is quite light, in part because it
doesn't *need* the features most standalone window managers do.

> I used to prefer fluxbox, because it really was (is) lighter and faster in
> practice, even with all of my apps loaded. KDE and GNOME both by default run
> a bunch of extra stuff that you "might" need, but you usually don't.
> Granted, it's trivial to turn these things off if you don't want them, but
> by default your system will run slow(er).

s/"might"/probably/

> However, the flip side is that it isn't always trivial to enable a
> feature you want in light weight desktops like fluxbox. If you are
> setting a system up for a transitional Windows user, you want everything
> to be pretty and "just work," even if it uses 200% more RAM and loads 3
> seconds slower than it otherwise could. My wife (who still fights with
> me over our 100% Linux house) is relatively happy with KDE and GNOME (we
> have 1 machine running each), but she would flip if I put something like
> fluxbox in front of her. She doesn't give a damn that it loads to
> desktop 15 seconds faster and uses practically no RAM.

Who uses the desktop?

Note you can always replace the startkde script with something quicker if you
really want to.