TOR and Linux -in the real world- on lower end hardware?

Don Ellis don.ellis at alumni.rice.edu
Thu Jan 10 11:59:46 CST 2008

I first heard about The Onion Router on an episode of Numb3rs, where
the perp used it to hide his identity. Of course, they were able to
trace the chain and catch him in the end. I looked it up after seeing
the episode, and saw an indication that it is pretty good anonymity
unless a law enforcement or government agency gets involved, in which
case all bets are off. Not too far from what was portrayed.

BTW, I would not have guessed that TOR referred to The Onion Router
without having looked it up or had it expanded in the discussion.
When I introduce one of the less-used acronyms, I like to expand it
on the first reference, as suggested (of course such items as TCP/IP
or LAN don't fall into this list. TOR certainly does. How many times
has it been cited previously on this list, and how often?).

What about other routing schemes, such as the Mesh system used on
OLPC systems? (One Laptop Per Child)

--Don Ellis