TOR and Linux -in the real world- on lower end hardware?

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 12:17:27 CST 2008

The anonymity is not theoretical, it is very very real.  Tor (when
used properly) will protect the origin of connections.  If you choose
to give away your identity by what you use your connection for
(searching for your name, or logging in as you, then YOU HAVE CHOSEN
TO NULLIFY YOUR ANONYMITY.  This is not a flaw, this is by design.
Tor is not insecure.  Tor was never built, and should not be thought
of as a security mechanism (because it is not one).  Tor is an
anonymity layer.

Even without tor, your connections are being relayed through computers
you can't control, and who can easily log you.  The reason torrified
(yes, that is in common usage) connections are more likely to be
recorded and monitored is the societal implication of wanting
anonymity.  This will only change if more people use anonymity
mechanisms for regular every day things.

Tor was never advertised as a security mechanism, and thats not their
intention.  It allows you to connect to a server with assurance that
the server can in no way determine your identity using the connection,
or (most obviously) your IP address.  If you choose to supply that
server with a username, email address, or cookie, you can undo that
anonymity.  And if you use tor, or any other network including your
ISP without using encryption, that network will be able to intercept
and tamper with the content of your communications.