Virtualization

Dave Hull dphull at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 17:03:15 CST 2008

I am a consumer of Xen. One of the web hosting companies that I use
uses it. Due to terms of service and such, I haven't poked at it much,
but it seems to be working well. I can't say more than that about it.

As for the VMWare recommendation, not sure if you need to have VMWare
Server. Workstation does pretty well and has some useful features that
VMWare Server doesn't, like snapshots and cloning if memory serves.

If you're deploying virtualization in a production environment,
remember that virtual machines are not firewalls. The recommended
practice is to use the "separation of concerns" with virtual machines,
that is don't put confidential information in a vm on a system where
there is also a publicly accessible web site and so on.

--
Dave Hull
CISSP, GCIH, GREM, SSP-MPA, CHFI