The Noob offering a bribe for help

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 22:07:07 CST 2008

I'm not interested in pizza, or beer, but here's what you need to get
what you want.  You can do all of this on Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu,
Slackware, whatever, just fine.  The distro doesn't really matter.
The main reason you would choose Fedora is if you have good personal
taste, and self respect.  Centos would be a little better if you would
prefer longer term "support" over the glamour of new bells and
whistles.  Centos also doesn't do reiserfs without a fight if you were
wanting that.  Unless you intend to shell out big money for 100% real,
hardware raid, from 3ware, LSI, Adaptec, Intel, etc.  the tool you
need is called mdadm.  It is pretty straight forward, and documented
here: http://linux.die.net/man/8/mdadm

This tool will make a fresh raid1 device named md0 out of sdb and sdc
if you just type:
mdadm --build md0 --level=1 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc

You can bring md0 online by typing:
mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc

And watch it 'rebuild' the synchronicity of the drives by typing:
cat /proc/mdstat

You can do a lot more than that with the mdadm tool, but nobody knows
everything of it, so we all use the man pages.  It's just as easy to
make a raid6 device, with hotspares.  There's just one more argument
you add to mdadm.

To make the system recognize and automount the drives on boot,
configure /etc/mdadm.conf.  This involves adding DEVICE lines and
ARRAY lines.  It is very easy, and documented here:
http://linux.die.net/man/5/mdadm.conf
If you aren't able to read the man page for mdadm.conf, mdadm, the
command will give you a cheat sheet of what to add in there.  To see
it, run:
mdadm --detail --scan

To auto add it to the mdadm.conf file, run:
mdadm --detail --scan >> /etc/mdadm.conf

After configuring the mdadm.conf, you can bring md0 online with:
mdadm --assemble --scan

Most importantly though, it will come online on its own when you boot
if it's in mdadm.conf, and you can configure failure alerts there too.

Then you should make a filesystem on /dev/md0
mke2fs -j /dev/md0

And make a directory to become its mountpoint
mkdir -p /path/to/where/you/want/it/mounted

And add a line like this to your /etc/fstab file so your system will
automount it at your mountpoint.
http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

The sharing with windows part will require one of two things:
1) Add an NFS client to Windows clients.
-or-
2) Add a Samba server to the GNU server.

The former will be more secure because you will be able to turn off
windows filesharing, which has historically been a large part of the
windows' infection problem.  If you would like to bring on the
destruction of your windows machines, at the cost of adding another
program (SAMBA) to your GNU server, just so that you change one less
thing on the windows machines, go the route of (2).

To share with linux machines, read up on /etc/exports.  (There's not
much to read about really) http://linux.die.net/man/5/exports

If you go the samba route, install it via your distro's package
manager if it is not already installed:
yum install samba

It's documentation is at http://us3.samba.org/samba/ and an official
howto is here http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/
I once had to share files from a GNU server to windows clients, and
under penalty of federal law, was not able to modify the clients (by
adding an NFS client for windows).  Samba was the solution, and it
worked faster with a bunch of other crap running, on the same
hardware, than Windows Server 2003 with nothing else installed.

On a side node, if you end up ordering pizza, use pizza_party, in
gnome-terminal.  http://www.beigerecords.com/cory/pizza_party/

DISCLAIMER:  I'm typing all this from memory.  Read, or at least
glance at the man pages.  Copy and paste at your own peril.