Intel D845EBT mobo RAM issues

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 14:41:04 CST 2008

Any have experience upgrading mobos with i845 chipsets?  I've got a
2002 vintage D845EBT mobo based system that is in desperate need of
RAM.  They put Vista on it with only the original 512MB RAM and it and
suddenly it got dog slow.  We all know why.  So, I put a 1GB Buffalo
Select DIMM in for 1.5GB RAM.  It sped up very well, but it started
having random crashes.  I diagnosed it to a problem with the 1GB
module, though I couldn't replicate the RAM errors with memtest86+ in
a spare system, only the original one.  Today I took the module back
to MicroCenter to do a defective part swap.  Got the new 1GB DIMM in
the system and it won't even pass POST, just gives beep codes.  Before
I get more time wasted on this and more gas to MC and back, etc., does
anyone know if the Intel made i845 boards have been having issues with
1GB DIMMs?  I've had 512MB DIMMs in it and it seemed ok, and the
original is a 512MB anyway.  I think I can let them live with 1GB (as
2x512) under Vista, but more is always better.  From my research so
far, Intel certified 512MB DIMMs and claims the 1GB *might* work...  I
think I'm finding otherwise.  I'll have to give this new DIMM a run in
the spare system and hope it's just a fluke of two bad DIMMs in a row.

Jon.