Printers

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 08:23:20 CST 2008

There's a difference between "unfriendly" and "not automatically
detected".  If you want unfriendly, look to lexmark.  As I understand
it, they actively fought to keep linux from working with their
printers a while back.  A little bit of thinking every once in a while
is a good thing.  It keeps our brains from shrinking during evolution.
 Setting up a printer isn't something you do to the same printer and
computer on a daily basis.  It's OK if you have to dust off the
keyboard to do it.

And the hpijs driver isn't always the best pick for hp's despite its
"(recommended)" suffix in cups.  I've got an HP printer that breaks
one page into about 40 if using hpijs, but works fine with
gutenprint-ijs.  If the manufacturer isn't going to support their
printer, give all the matching printer drivers a shot, because it can
make a difference