Merry Christmas -- for some

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.net
Thu Dec 25 01:08:17 CST 2008

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008, gary hildebrand wrote:

> After having my home repossessed (like many other Americans), I ended up for
> two weeks at the Restart shelter in E downtown KC.  The experience there . .
> . well I can only describe it this way:
>
> If I were a survivor of the Holocaust, I wouldn't wish it on the Nezis.
>
> I've spent the last 6 weeks at the Salvation Army shelter in St. Joseph, and
> was ordered to leave today just after lunch.  Why?  Simple respect, and the
> lack thereof.  Remember this story when you see the bellringers over their
> kettles -- some of their fold don't understand and practice what they claim.
>
> I wish all of you LUG nuts and others who aren't afraid to walk a different
> walk than the rest of the US a glorious and wonderful Christmas and New
> Year's holiday.  I ask that you keep in mind that many aren't as well off as
> us, and instead of giving them a handout, a hand up would be appreciated,
> even if it seems small and inconsequential.

Good read!  The massive overtime at work currently is keeping food on my
table.  Wishing the best and may oppotunities become plentiful as we have
always treasured in a free society.

If you have pictures of your journey, they would be good as gold.  I fear
if I were to lose my home, the harsh reality of shelterless living would
be brutal on electronics and commmunication.  I often think about what
would happen without our support as a mental exercise.  The scenarios
always seemed grim when thought out to the details.

If Richard Stallman had a church, a good place might exist for shelter and
a place for us to share.  Hope to hear from you again.

-=Duane
http://www.dattaway.net